Interesting People mailing list archives

Chilabi, Iranian Codes, and the NSA

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:38:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce Schneier <schneier () counterpane com>
Date: June 22, 2004 3:14:20 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Chilabi, Iranian Codes, and the NSA

I just published an essay where I try to untangle the allegations that the NSA has been reading Iranian codes, and that Chilabi informed the Iranians. The weirdest angle to this story is that the Iranians knew that the NSA had been doing this for years.

        http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0406.html#1

I'm not sure what the real story is here, and I don't believe I ever will. Too much cloak and dagger.

But I would very much like this to get some wider distribution. I haven't seen it anywhere in the press.

Bruce