Interesting People mailing list archives

America, Land of the Free?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:04:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: July 8, 2004 10:51:24 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: America, Land of the Free?

http://caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/ 0,1641,CCCT_811_3015289,00.html

 Local residents arrested at Bush visit

 By Associated Press
 July 6, 2004

 CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Two Corpus Christi residents were arrested during
 President Bush's visit to the West Virginia Capitol to honor the
 country's veterans and gather support for invading Iraq.

 Nicole and Jeffery Rank were taken out from among the crowd of about
6,500 packed into the Capitol's north courtyard in restraints by police.
 They were issued citations for trespassing and released, said Jay
 Smithers, acting director of the Capitol police force.

 "We were told we couldn't be here because we were wearing these shirts
that said we were against Bush," Nicole Rank shouted as police rushed her out.

 Smithers said the pair had tickets to the event and wore clothing over
 their anti-Bush T-shirts. Once through the security checkpoint, they
 removed their outer layers and mingled in the crowd.

 "We asked them to go out to the designated protest area but they
 refused," Smithers said. "They told our people they would not leave and
 sat down on their hands. We didn't have any choice."