Interesting People mailing list archives

Forsaking Privacy - Retroactive Criminality

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 07:00:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Zellmer <zellmer () virtualproperties com>
Date: July 7, 2004 10:55:34 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Forsaking Privacy - Retroactive Criminality

Hi Dave - For IP if you wish:

I read the post on Ashcroft's retroactive classification of the Edmonds
case and thought this recent Washington Times article by Paul Craig
Roberts was an appropriate followup subject.

We do need to wake up and stop the erosion of our rights!

Best -

Jim

----------------

Paul Craig Roberts (no permanent link - so I copied it to my blog here)

http://www.zmetro.com/archives/000462.html

"If the government had access to the communications between a client and
his lawyer, the lawyer would be nothing but a government agent, like
Soviet defense attorneys, whose official role was to serve as adjuncts to
the prosecution."

Once upon a time, the U.S. Justice Department respected the legal rights
that make law a shield of the innocent rather than a weapon of
government. No more. What the great English jurist William Blackstone
called "the Rights of Englishmen" have been eroded beyond recognition.

 The last remaining right -- the attorney-client privilege -- is under
full-scale assault by Justice Department prosecutors in the tax shelter
case involving the accounting firm KPMG. The Justice Department has
demanded, and the accounting firm has agreed to, a waiver of the
attorney-client privilege for communications between lawyers and KPMG
employees involved in marketing tax shelters the Internal Revenue Service
has challenged.