Interesting People mailing list archives

Ted Turner on Iraq (was: More PBS Censorship?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:22:03 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jay Fenello <Jay () Fenello com>
Date: July 27, 2004 11:29:40 PM PDT
To: dave () farber net, farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: Gordon Cook <cook () cookreport com>
Subject: Re: Ted Turner on Iraq (was: More PBS Censorship?)

 Hi Dave,

 Perhaps some IP'rs can shed some light
 on these continuing blackouts on PBS.

 Thanks,

 Jay.

 At 7/28/2004  02:20 AM, Jay Fenello wrote:

Well, it happened again ...

 This time, Ted Turner was being interviewed
 on the Charlie Rose show (PBS), and right in
 the middle of a very interesting exchange on
 media control & ownership, the station went
 blank for around 5 minutes.

 This time, however, a technical screen popped
 up with these phone numbers:  718-985-2660
 and 202-639-1400.  So I called and spoke
 with a technician named Gregory Knox.

 He said that they had lost their feed from
 Verizon -- some kind of line break in the
 D.C. area.

 Anyway, they must have gotten many complaints,
 because they are now planning on rebroadcasting
 the interview in it's entirety next Monday.

 Those who tune in will hear some great quotes like:

"We wasted 200 Billion Dollars of our money (in Iraq), 100
 Billion to destroy the infrastructure of the country, then
 we had to pledge 100 Billion to build it back, to find one
 guy who was hiding in a fox hole."  -- Ted Turner

 “History will look back at this debacle in Iraq as one of
 the greatest mistakes that any major country every made --
 as big a bad deal as Time Warner merging with AOL.  In one
 move, we set the United States back at least 30 years, as
 far as our International relations.  I mean it's gonna
 take a *long* time and a lot of work to repair our
 standing in the world." -- Ted Turner

 "I said 'I felt as excited about signing the papers on
 the (AOL Time Warner) merger as I did about having sex
 for the first time' ... but I didn't really.  I was just
 trying to make the shareholders happy."  -- Ted Turner

He also spoke of the environment, population, and the
 better world that is possible if we just decide to
 create it.  (Eco would have been proud :-)

 Anyway, I recommend watching the next showing, fwiw.

 Jay.