Interesting People mailing list archives

Copyright Bill to Kill Tech?

From: dave () farber net
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:22 -0700

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
To: dave () farber net
Cc: EEkid () aol com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:51:50 -0400
Subj: Re: [IP] Copyright Bill to Kill Tech?

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

I suggest the real issue here is the abuse of copyright by the large
corporations.  After all, in spite of the best efforts of the founding
Fathers to insure a fair and reasonable balance between the
requirements of the inventor and the requirements a nation of
innovative "mechanics", nothing has been added to the public domain
since, I understand, the 1960s.  This is a scandal that attacks the
core of our future: innovation.  Dare I suggest it weakens our national
security and is down right un-American -- at least as defined by the
"original intent" of the Founders.

The P-2-P situation can perhaps be described as a revolt of we the
people against corporate abuse of copyright -- the Tea Tax issue of the
21st century?

Further, I am amazed that the media giants have not figures out, ala
Michael Moore, that the P-2-P process can be leveraged in many ways
that will in fact help the producers of content to recover costs and
profits while at the same time allowing new models of financing for
content production.

It may be the case that a proper use of cooperative P-2-P concepts will
allow the production of content that does NOT have to conform to the
lowest common denominator in a rush to the bottom for mass market
profits.  What a concept, the P-2-P community wilingly helping to
finance content production that they anticipate valuing!

Can anyone say Howard Dean and $50,000 an hour from the P-2-P community?

The fact is that P-2-P offers as yet undiscovered new ways to support
the entertainment and content producers -- if they would only look
forward and take their eyes off the rear view mirror.

Best,

Jock

Jock Gill
Media Intelligence