Interesting People mailing list archives

Analysis of Online Health Care Privacy Policies Pre- and Post-HIPAA

From: dave () farber net
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:07 -0700

 ..... Forwarded Message .......
From: "Annie I. Anton" <aianton () mindspring com>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:38:47 -0400
Subj: Analysis of Online Health Care Privacy Policies Pre- and Post-HIPAA

Dear Dave,

The Privacy Place has released a report that
investigates the online privacy practices of
three categories of health care Web sites --
pharmaceuticals, health insurance companies and
online drugstores -- and presents our analysis of
24 online privacy documents from nine
institutions. Our study provides a unique
perspective on the state of privacy practices
before and after HIPAA's enactment, by comparing
our current results to our pre-HIPAA (Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
study of these same institutions' privacy
practices. We discuss how HIPAA's introduction
has resulted in more descriptive and detailed
privacy policies but has not necessarily improved
the online privacy practices of these
organizations. The results of this analysis may
be helpful for forecasting how future legislation
will affect the state of online privacy in other
domains.

The URL is: http://www.theprivacyplace.org/papers/hipaa_7_24_submit.pdf

Thought the paper may be of interest to you.

Best wishes,
Annie Antón

--

Annie I. Antón, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Software Engineering

Office:  919.515.5764
Fax:      919.513.1895
Email:   anton () csc ncsu edu