Interesting People mailing list archives

more on History and technology

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:15:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Alex R. Cohen" <arc () arclights net>
Date: July 23, 2004 1:05:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] History and technology

Dave--

I've received a number of responses, some of which look very promising. My thanks to you and to everyone who replied. For the benefit of anyone else looking for similar material, here are the suggestions* I have received in response to my request:

-Janet Abbate, Inventing the Internet (MIT Press, 1999) (recommended by several IP'ers)

-Peter Salus's little 1995 book, "Casting the Net" (recommended by several IP'ers)

-"Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet" by Katie Hafner (recommended by several IP'ers)

-FCC working papers that discuss Internet/Policy issues, beginning with Kevin Werbach's Digital Tornado paper and Jaxon Oxman's.

-CSTB's _Internet's Coming of Age_ and _Funding a Revolution_ (links below). <http://www7.nationalacademies.org/cstb/pub_internet'scomingofage.html>
   <http://www7.nationalacademies.org/cstb/pub_revolution.html>

-Comer, D., The Internet Book: Everything you need to know about computer networking and how the Internet works, 3rd edition, 2000.

-"Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet"? There is an online edition at http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/

-The upcoming issue of the Amateur Computerist newsletter has an article about the international contributions in the early creation of tcp/ip.

-The current issue of the Amateur Computerist has a long article about the early development of TCP/IP. It's at http://www.ais.org/~jrh/acn/ACn12-2.pdf

-Ronda Hauben, who suggested the three preceding items, also suggested (more of) her own material, at
   http://www.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers
http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/misc http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other

-James W. Cortada, Making the Information Society (Financial Times/Prentice Hall, 2002)

-Books used for the CNE/MCSE tests. (Novell and Microsoft)

-L. Lessig. Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace.

-M. Waldrop. The Dream Machine: JCR Licklider and the Revolution that Made Computing Personal.

-T. Berners-Lee and M. Fishetti. Weaving the Web: The Original Designer and Ultimate Destiny of the World Wide Web by its Inventor.

-IEEE history interviews, including one with Vint Cerf: http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/oral_histories/ comsoc_oh.html

-http://www.postel.org/pipermail/internet-history/

-Educational CyberPlayGround http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

-Internet (see everything there) http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/Home_Internet.html

-Internet History http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/articles.html ; http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/INTERESTINGSITES/hubsandspokes.html ; http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/DOMAIN%20NAME/ Guidlines_for_ISP's.html

-including ICANN http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/DOMAIN%20NAME/Domain_Name.html

-Erik Davis, Techgnosis (about the underlying mythology which has made "information" the new holy grail)

-Milton L. Mueller, Ruling the Root (2002) (recommended once, with reservations)

*I'm omitting one that was already described in a posting to the list.

Again, thank you everyone.

--

        ALEX R. COHEN, J.D.

Doctoral student, philosophy program