Interesting People mailing list archives

more on 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Making GOP Nervous

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:33:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marc Aniballi <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: July 22, 2004 5:05:18 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Making GOP Nervous

Hello Dave;

I found the following quote amusing;

"We didn't even stay to see the whole thing," Campbell said. "It was
one-sided."

This discussion point has cropped up on this side of the pond too; shortly after the Palme D'Or at Cannes. Many people feel it is an unfair portrayal of Bush because it is one sided (questioning the president's motivations, actions and policies). It is harder for Europeans to understand because they rarely choose to watch CNN, especially CNN America - and so miss the other
side of the debate.

I think (could be just me!) that Michael Moore has done a service to the
American People. He has RE-INTRODUCED debate into the mainstream media.
While his movie may be CON, there has certainly been plenty of PRO in the mainstream media over the last four years. I wonder what the REBUTTAL will
be (if any)?

I applaud Michael Moore and others like him (many of them members of your
list, Dave), who hopefully will wake the sleeping masses before we find
ourselves with an America that has shredded its constitution and system of government (One of its major "thought leadership" qualities from a global
community perspective), and/or worse, has decided to use "Microsoft"
techniques to create the worlds first totalitarian global hegemony (cultural
monopoly?).

While on one side I find the exponentially increasing capacity of an
individual to create catastrophes rather disturbing; I also find it
comforting, because if trends continue in a negative fashion without more
resistance, these weapons will be required for the second American
Revolution.

We hear day in and day out about how Microsoft is being attacked by
government, courts, hackers, disgruntled competitors, open source movements,
blah, blah, blah. I see very strong parallels in the way America is
currently viewed (and treated) globally.

Interestingly enough (and often commented on in this list) Microsoft appears externally to act as if all of these attacks are completely unfounded and merely a nuisance. Yet, internally it is "WAR on Linux," "Security is #1!," "Delete your incriminating emails!," etc. I often have to laugh as I read news online and mail from friends "inside" (both Microsoft and America!) and
the parallels are ridiculous!

Regards,

Marc Aniballi