Interesting People mailing list archives

Be your own ISP + telco (esp. in underserved areas)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:11:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: July 21, 2004 4:50:56 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber:;
Subject: Fwd: Be your own ISP + telco (esp. in underserved areas)

From: "Christian Sandvig" <member () orkut com>
To: "Jim Warren" <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Be your own ISP + telco (esp. in underserved areas)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:02:29 -0700

Friends,

A group I've been working with is putting on a summit on community wireless networking next month, and it is shaping up to be a great meeting.

I've been told that they have travel grants for people who want to start new projects, who have small projects that are just starting, or who otherwise would not be able to attend such a thing because of the expense. I wonder if anyone in my Orkutsphere might know people who would benefit from this. I'm sure the event would benefit from them. Personally, I think it would be great if more people working in community-based not-for-profits and social justice initiatives took a step in the wireless direction, as a few organizations have demonstrated that this can be a very powerful tool.

Here is the event Web site:
http://www.communitywirelesssummit.org/

If you have no idea what I am talking about with this subject line, read this: http://www.freepress.net/wifi/guideintro.php (be sure to click 'next,' the pictures are very cool.)

Christian

P.S.
Note that the focus of the event is on the United States.

--
http://www.niftyc.org/

This message was sent by Christian Sandvig to friends of friends.

* * *

http://www.orkut.com/