Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NEW TECHNOLOGY HERALDS UNLIMITED WEB SITES -- ICANN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:19:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: July 21, 2004 1:35:02 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] NEW TECHNOLOGY HERALDS UNLIMITED WEB SITES -- ICANN

Oy, the ghost of P.T. Barnum must be inhabiting ICANN (again) - IPv6 AAAA records have been found in third tier (and deeper) DNS zones around the net for quite a while. All that happened yesterday was that the zones for .jp and .kr joined the club.

The DNS root servers themselves are not accessible via IPv6 nor are there widely deployed mechanisms through which regular domain owners can declare to their registrars that they have IPv6 servers of their own.

A new internet-draft appeared yesterday:
        Title           : DNS Response Size Issues
        Author(s)       : P. Vixie, A. Kato
        Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-01.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 2004-7-20

It addresses many (but to my mind, not all) of the issues of adding IPv6 address records to root zone delegations.

It is interesting that this draft came out yesterday, *after* ICANN went ahead with the IPv6 records. In other words, ICANN apparently acted *before* the questions had been fully asked, much less fully answered.

That kind of action-before-thinking stands in stark contrast to the way that ICANN has spent years agonizing over the much easier technical question of whether we can technically add a few hundred, or even a few thousand, new TLDs. (Note, I'm only talking about the technical question, not about the harder policy question of who gets those TLD slots.)

                --karl--