Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Pulver Innovations WiSIP Phone

From: dave () farber net
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:56 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Noam Freedman <noam () noam com>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:47:51 -0400
Subj: RE: [IP] Pulver Innovations WiSIP Phone

On the whole, I was impressed, but I can't see many takers
for a $250 product that only works for sure as a cordless
phone in private networks. We'll see how this plays out in
the weeks and months ahead as more Wi-Fi phones come on to
the market and pressure builds on hotspot operators to let them on.

Don't want a WiFi-only phone?

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=902

"The FCC today approved the Motorola CN620, the first phone capable of
operating on both mobile and Wi-Fi networks. Although the phone was
developed by Motorola's iDEN group, the phone supports only GSM and Wi-Fi
networks. Voice calls started on Wi-Fi networks can be handed off to a GSM
network. The reverse is possible only for certain types of calls. Features
of the phone include a large color main display, an external display,
speakerphone, eight-way navigation, and PTT (push-to-talk). Although the
prototype approved by the FCC operates only on GSM networks, FCC documents
reveal that the final model will support all three major types of Wi-Fi
(802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11a), as well as quad-band GSM."

- Noam