Interesting People mailing list archives

Impassioned Quotes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 05:23:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ted Dolotta" <Ted () Dolotta ORG>
Date: July 18, 2004 7:46:47 PM EDT
To: "IP List" <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Subject: FW: Impassioned Quotes

The times, they are a-changing -- and not necessarily by elevating
the level of political discourse ...

Ted Dolotta
"I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his
own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who
denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present
opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it."
-- Thomas Paine, 1783

"Free speech exercised both individually and through a free press, is
a necessity in any country where people are themselves free."
-- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

"The truth is found when men are free to pursue it."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1936

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people
what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell, 1945

"Any time we deny any citizen the full exercise of his constitutional
rights, we are weakening our own claim to them."
-- Dwight David Eisenhower, 1963

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not
that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant."
-- Robert F. Kennedy, 1964

"Go fuck yourself."
-- Dick Cheney, 2004