Interesting People mailing list archives

palmOne Opens Airport Store in Pittsburgh

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:08:58 -0400

palmOne Opens Airport Store in Pittsburgh
Posted By: Ryan on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 12:49:00 PM

palmOne has opened a new concept electronics store at Pittsburgh International Airport's Airmall. The store offers palmOne's line of handhelds, smartphones and other electronics and accessories.

Located in the airside terminal, the 980-square-foot store is a showroom for every manner of portable electronic device. The selection includes laptops, PDAs, CD and DVD players, travel essentials such as wireless headsets, batteries and airline adapter cords, plus a collection of Palm handheld units and full line of accessories. There are some 1500 SKUs in all, priced from $2.39 for replacement batteries and up to $699 for top of the line items including the Treo 600 smartphone.

Kanwal Sharma, director of palmOne retail stores, says the company's objective was to get the technology in front of customers who need it most. palmOne is a market leader in Palm OS handhelds, software and accessory solutions. "We set our sights on airport locations for our retail stores, and partnered with APW Holdings because of their keen ability and focus on customer care ... The idea is to make retailing in an airport a fun, educational, and yet predictive place to be in. The data has been very encouraging," he adds, "and we have high expectations for our Pittsburgh store."

At Airport Wireless plamOne, customers can test drive some of the hottest gadgets to arrive in the marketplace while they are at the airport. Knowledgeable staff guide them in their technology decisions. "We're a business traveler's dream," says Ms. Bermen, "and completely hands-on - a touch it, feel it concept. Our customers get to play with all of our high-tech toys."

Airport Wireless palmOne stores are currently in Newark, Philadelphia, Boston and Pittsburgh. Next stops: Atlanta and Washington D.C. A full list of palmOne Retail locations can be found here. This is the palmOne's 12th retail location after opening a Flagship store in Philadelphia in May.
<http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6950>