Interesting People mailing list archives

P2P Won't be Controlled

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:03:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 17, 2004 10:21:48 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: P2P Won't be Controlled

Dave,

Of course, statistics on P2P usage only capture data on P2P
applications that can be identified as such.  As efforts by
governments (and ISPs) move toward constraints and restraints on
such P2P usage, the trend of particularly "sensitive" P2P
applications cloaking themselves to appear as other more "innocuous"
types of applications and data will greatly accelerate.

P2P transactions can be hidden as anything from encrypted e-mail,
to payloads hidden in mundane photos (steganography), to
low level network utility traffic -- even morphing as necessary on
a dynamic basis.

This all makes genuine control over P2P, especially the types
of materials that the powers-that-be will most wish to control,
extremely problematic in the long run.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

- - -

Begin forwarded message: