Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Flight Risk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:09:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb () guppylake com>
Date: July 16, 2004 9:04:16 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Flight Risk

It's worth noting that this problem predates -- and is far deeper than -- fears in response to 9/11. Television, in particular, has a long established pattern of fear-mongering to promote ratings. (Think of all the teaser promos for tonight's local news: "You may be in grave danger from something you've never thought about, but we won't mention any details right now to make sure you worry even if you already knew about it. Details at 11!)

A few years back, if I recall, a pretty reputable-seeming study claimed that Americans' level of fear and anxiety was directly proportional to the amount of TV they watched. The more TV you watch, it seems, the more dangerous you think the world is, but newspapers and radio don't seem to have that effect.

The bottom line: Turn off your TV, and listen to NPR or the BBC. It may not make the world a better place, but it sure will seem like it does.-- Nathaniel