Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Police test hi-tech zapper that could end car chases

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:59:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: July 12, 2004 7:07:58 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Police test hi-tech zapper that could end car chases

Dave,

A year or so a ago, I interviewed a man who was employed with the Dept. of the Army.  He discussed his involvement in the research and development of this type of device at a facility near DC.  At that time, he said there were quiet field tests being performed in New Jersey (if my memory is correct).  With a sad look on his face, he explained that the device can cause serious permanent injury to the passengers of the targeted vehicle.  He explained that the high energy microwave pulse can and does cause injury to human eye tissue, and the nervous system.  Despite this well known fact, he said they were determined to make this product available to law enforcement.  In his exact words "the thing really messes up anyone it's pointed at"

How long will it be before the lawsuits start rolling in?

EEkid