Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Forget your bank balance? It's available on the Internet

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:33:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Berland <laurence () isp northwestern edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:44:39
To:dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Forget your bank balance? It's available on the Internet

Dave,
        This is a new way to get information that's always been way too easily
accessible.  There are many ways your myriad creative readers might devise
that would lead to an account number.  Once you do that, go down to a branch
of that person's bank and fill out a deposit slip.  Give your friend a
dollar.  They need no ID or other information because, as I was told when I
asked this back in 2000, "we don't care if people want to give you money."
My mother deposits checks for me all the time, since I have an account in
New York but go to school in Illinois.  On the receipt she, or anyone, gets
for this transaction, is the bank account balance.  It's possible this is
even how these online firms are doing it.  I complained to my bank, but they
refused to be of any help.

Laurence Berland