Interesting People mailing list archives

: Make sure your vote is counted - be absentee on electionday!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:32:32 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:31:12
To:dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] : Make sure your vote is counted - be absentee on election
 day!

I investigated an absentee ballot here for last year's election
(local officials).   It turns out that they have one of the
electronic voting machines set up in the courthouse for weeks prior
to the election for people to come in and cast a vote if they are
going to be out of town.  To get a paper, mailed-in ballot (I was
told) requires signing a statement on the ballot that the voter was
not in the county for the weeks prior to the election but as still a
legal resident.

I do not intend to fraudulently sign the statement, so unless the
procedure is different this year I have no choice but to use machines
that I know to be susceptible to tampering and error.