Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ] History of Spam

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:04:06 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Claudio Gutierrez <cgutierrez () improvement cl>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:40:53
To:dave () farber net
Subject: Re: Fw: [IP] History of Spam

Dave
there are many sites that requires registration to get documents,
papers, reports, etc. That could be suspicious and you can be afraid of
spam, but usually the motivation is to have demographic, statistical and
commercial data about the people downloading the info. It can be seen as
a "win-win" transaction while the personal info you give is for
legitimate use and never sold or given to spammers.

If you are concerned about the use of the data and don't want to give
your *real* e-mail address, there are options of "instant email"
addresses like dave () mailinator com. See http://www.mailinator.com

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way to Mailinator. Just a happy
user of this service.

regards
Claudio