Interesting People mailing list archives

"Permission-based email marketers" confusedabout CAN SPAM law [sp]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:39:31 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:44:33
To:Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc:declan () well com
Subject: Re: [IP and Politech] "Permission-based email marketers" confused
 about CAN SPAM law [sp]

Sigh.  "Permission-based email marketers" is merely a fancy term for "spammers".

As in, for example:

loren () uptilt com

Uptilt.com?  Ah, yes.  Spammers.  Already noted on at least these lists of
spammer domains:

        http://obob.manilasites.com/
        http://geocities.com/filterlists/domainnames.txt
        http://www.river.com/ops/spam/bad-domains.txt
        http://www.spamblocked.com/killfile
        http://www.tls.cena.fr/%7Eboubaker/JunkTrap/domains.blacklist
        http://www.znet.com/blocked-domains.html

A bit of discussion about their spamming operation:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=uptilt.com&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dnews.admin.net-abuse.email

Some example sightings of spam from them:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=uptilt.com+group:news.admin.net-abuse.sightings&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=news.admin.net-abuse.sightings&safe=off&sa=G&scoring=d

The most recent spam from them (from the link just above): January 28, 2004:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=uptilt.com+group:news.admin.net-abuse.sightings&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=news.admin.net-abuse.sightings&safe=off&scoring=d&selm=20040129225721.918CD1BDE7B%40kalyani.oryx.com&rnum=1

Some example sightings of spam from one of their other domains (up0.net):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=up0.net&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dnews.admin.net-abuse.sightings

Admits renting lists of addresses (and then trying to scrub them) in this thread:

        http://www.mail-archive.com/spamcon-marketing () spamcon org/msg00003.html

And so on.

Oh, they might very well comply with YOU-CAN-SPAM: don't know, don't care.
What I care about is that they have a long history of spamming and have
thus earned permanent blocking in all mail systems under my control.

---Rsk