Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Why Technologists Should Stay Involved with SPAM Legislation

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:27:55 -0500

Hear hear!!! djf

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb () guppylake com>

Dave -- First of all I couldn't agree more with the premise that technologists need to stay involved in the legal efforts against spam (not just legislation but, now, regulation, and soon, investigation, enforcement, and evidence), and it's what I'm spending the majority of my time on these days.

The bottom line on spam-fighting technology is that there are lots of good ideas and no silver-bullet ideas. Unfortunately, people love to fight the battle of the "best" approach to spam. I believe that we have to stop seeing them as either/or propositions, as in "my spam solution is better than yours" and start trying to implement as many of them as possible, as cooperatively as possible. This applies not only to competing antispam technologies, but also to the competition between technological, legal, economic, and educational approaches to spam.

In this case, Rich's objection can be significantly dampened by "spiking" the do not call list, which I think the FTC is smart enough to do. Far from a magnet for spammers, this list could be the mother of all honeypots -- you would essentially set up a regularly changing stream of new email addresses that it would be a felony to send email to. (Heck, you could have all such email forward directly to the local police station nearest the originating IP address, if we also improved IP address tracing...) And while I don't know which antispam philosophy Rich subscribes to, the odds are very high that it can be implemented in *addition* to the do-not-call list, as opposed to *instead* of it.

There are dozens of clever approaches to the spam problem. Rather than argue over which is best, we should try to work together to do as many of them as we can without stepping on each others' toes. -- Nathaniel
---
Nathaniel S. Borenstein, Ph.D.  <nborenst () us ibm com>
Distinguished Engineer, IBM, Lotus CTO Office
Phone: +1 (734) 395-9828 or +1 (989) 739-8243