Interesting People mailing list archives

Spam on the Rise - No Surprise

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 06:31:35 -0500

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:27:05 -0500
From: jspira () basex com
Subject: Spam on the Rise - No Surprise
To: dave () farber net

Dave, hi

I just did an informal survey to see how much spam E-mail our mail servers rejected today. Given the CAN-SPAM Act, one would have expected the quantity of spam E-mail to go down, if just a tad.

As you know, a month ago, we released our report on Spam E-mail and IT Spending and Productivity (http://www.basex.com/2003poty). We predicted that the situation will get worse before it gets better. Bob Kahn noted in the report that the relevancy factor of his mail went from close to 100% (a while ago), to 50% (recently) to 10% (at present). I wonder what happens when we reach 1% relevancy.

My own quick study: one month later, our mail servers are rejecting twice as much spam per user as last month. The average number of pieces of spam E-mail per user was 198 today - compared with ca. 11 relevant (or non-spam) E-mails. That is close to 5% relevancy. Fortunately, the systems deployed on our mail servers catch almost all of it - with mercifully few false positives.

Cheers.

/s/ Jonathan

Jonathan B. Spira
CEO and Chief Analyst
Basex, Inc.
y <mailto:jspira () basex com>jspira () basex com
( +1 (212) 725-2600 x113
8 http://www.basex.com