Interesting People mailing list archives

Another take on "Welcome to the U.S."

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:03:59 -0500

Let me assure you this is not a insignificant organization  Dave

Dave,

Please either delete my identifying information or just delete this email as my organization could easily be identified and I have not discussed this with other members of our Board

I am an officer of an academic organization which began as a U.S. based group but is now very global. Only slightly more than half of our members are from North American universities. The rest are in a very large number of countries on every continent. In the past, we have tried to hold our annual meeting in North America roughly two out of three years. Our non-U.S. meetings have been held in a variety of European and Asian countries.

At this point, I am seriously concerned that holding meetings in the U.S. would not be fair to our non-North American members and that if we did so, we could end up with sharply reduced attendance. There are two issues. One is the difficulty of getting visas to travel to the U.S.: it is all too often a demeaning, time-consuming and very uncertain process. The second is the treatment that our non-American members might receive at immigration. I have heard stories similar to those posted on the list over the last few days, and worse. I suspect all of us have. I will propose that all of our upcoming North American meetings be held in Canadian cities at our next Board meeting.

One of the great strengths of American universities has been our international reach -- the fact that we attract the best students and faculty from all over the world. Surely a way can be found to provide a reasonable degree of protection against terrorism without severly restricting cross-border flows of faculty and students. If I am right and border controls now make it difficult to hold international academic meetings in the U.S., we have a problem.

Let me add another issue. One of our Canadian graduate students was fingerprinted and photographed at immigration when he returned from a European trip.