Interesting People mailing list archives

Dan /mor column

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:55:51 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () mercurynews com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:50:52
To:Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fyi

http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001654.shtml

The broadcast culture assumes that most of us are "consumers" of mass media.
We are merely receptacles for what Hollywood, the music industry and even
our local daily newspaper decide we should view, hear or read.

The post-broadcast culture is a democratization of media, and it comes at
things from the opposite stance. It says that anyone also can be a creator,
not just a consumer. There's a world of difference.