Interesting People mailing list archives

more on MS Offers "Remove Hidden Data" tool for Office Users

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:26:03 -0500

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:08:24 -0500
From: Ted Dolotta <Ted () Dolotta ORG>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on MS Offers "Remove Hidden Data" tool for Office Users
To: dave () farber net

Well, not quite, it seems:  See Microsoft notice to Mac users,
attached below.

ted

Title: Microsoft Macintosh Products Security Bulletin Summary for <====== !!!!
       February, 2004
Issued: February 10, 2004
Version Number: 1.0
Bulletin:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/macfeb04.asp

Included in this advisory is an update describing a newly discovered
vulnerability in Microsoft Macintosh products.

** Important Security Bulletins

   MS04-005 - Vulnerability in Virtual PC for Mac could lead to
              privilege elevation (835150)

             - Affected Software:
               - Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac version 6.0
               - Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac version 6.01
               - Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac version 6.02
               - Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac version 6.1

             - Impact: Elevation of Privilege
             - Version Number: 1.0

Update Availability:
===================
An update is available to fix this vulnerability.
For additional information, including Technical Details,
Workarounds, answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and Update
Deployment Information please read the Microsoft Macintosh Products
Security Bulletin Summary for February at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/macfeb04.asp

Support:
========
Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security patches.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Additional Resources:
=====================
* Microsoft has created a free monthly e-mail newsletter containing
  valuable information to help you protect your network. This
  newsletter provides practical security tips, topical security
  guidance, useful resources and links, pointers to helpful
  community resources, and a forum for you to provide feedback
  and ask security-related questions.
  You can sign up for the newsletter at:

  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews

* Join our Microsoft webcast for a live discussion of the technical
  details of the February security bulletins and steps you can take
  to protect your environment. Details can be found at:

* Protect your PC: Microsoft has provided information on how you
  can help protect your PC at the following locations:

  If you receive an e-mail that claims to be distributing a
  Microsoft security patch, it is a hoax that may be distributing a
  virus. Microsoft does not distribute security patches via e-mail.
  You can learn more about Microsoft's software distribution
  policies here:

  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp

Acknowledgments:
================
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to protect
customers:

- - George Gal of @stake (http://www.atstake.com) for reporting the
issue described in MS04-005.

Revisions:
==========
* V1.0 February, 2004: Bulletin Created.
Protect your PC: Microsoft has provided information on how you
can help protect your PC at the following locations:

If you receive an e-mail that claims to be distributing a
Microsoft security patch, it is a hoax that may be distributing a
virus. Microsoft does not distribute security patches via e-mail.
You can learn more about Microsoft's software distribution
policies here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp
THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS
PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT
DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.
IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL
DAMAGES, EVEN IF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN
ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING
LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

If you do not wish to use Microsoft Passport, you can unsubscribe from the Microsoft Security
Notification Service via email as described below:

For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
Advisor web site at http://www.microsoft.com/security.