Interesting People mailing list archives

The CHILLING EFFECT

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:01:11 -0400

ver () umich edu" <ver () umich edu> wrote:

For the first time in all of my teaching, I had a student who honestly was
concerned that if he asked the questions he needs to for his final project
in my ethics and values in computing class, he might have a dossier made
on him and he needs to get a job following graduation.  He seriously, and
honestly, asked how he might proceed because he is concerned.

His project is on the Lifelog of Dod.  But others are investigating
surveillance cameras at traffic lights, SEVIS, MATRIX, etc.  They are
trying to find out who is supporting them, what the objectives are, what
the adversaries say, and how the technology is being used, and analyze the
ethics and values issues.

Says something about the current political atmosphere and reality doesn't
it.....?   I think it is called the CHILLING EFFECT.   :-(

Virginia Rezmierski, Ph.D.
Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, and
The School of Information
The University of Michigan
712 Oakland Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-3021