Interesting People mailing list archives

Pork (wet type) Another one from Bob's list

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:00:53 -0500

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>

(Readers can find out about Bob's list at   http://xpda.com/junkmail)

Fuss Budget and Visas

It's nice to know that the $180,000,000 indoor rain forest will be built in Coralville, Iowa. $50,000,000 was authorized for the project last week. That's exactly what I was wanting my tax dollars to go for. Senator Grassley of Iowa happens to be the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, but this is just a coincidence.

       http://www.press-citizen.com/news/012304bill.htm

In the meantime, the Statue of Liberty is closed because the government can't come up with $5 million, one tenth the amount allocated (so far) to the Iowa Indoor Rain Forest. The Department of Homeland Security closed the Statue of Liberty until $5 million worth of renovations could be done to make it safe from terrorists.

       http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Feb/02032004/nation_w/135250.asp

There's an ironic message there. Since the Statue of Liberty was closed, the U.S. has canceled, delayed, and refused visas to thousands of people wanting to come to the U.S. for education, medical treatment, and vacation, in addition to many who want to move here.

Give me your tired, your poor,
 Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
 The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
 Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.
 I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Something seems to have changed.

       http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54653-2004Jan27.html

It's common now for international students, even students who have been in the U.S. since childhood, to leave the country on a visit and not be allowed to return.

       http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2003/09/15/opinion/8482.shtml

Some universities recommend that international students not leave the country during summer or Christmas vacation because they may not be able to return in time for classes.

http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=8846&repository=0001_article