Interesting People mailing list archives

U.S. Air Force bans camera phones in restricted areas

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:54:49 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:44:33
To:dave () farber net
Subject: U.S. Air Force bans camera phones in restricted areas

Hi Dave,

There's an article in "The Washington Post" about how the U.S. Air Force is banning camera phones in restricted areas.
According to a press release issued by Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, the National Security Agency calls camera
phones "an unacceptable security risk to homeland security."

Frankly, it's no surprise that the Air Force -- or any other organization with legitimate security concerns -- are
banning camera phones.  It's just a logical extension of existing security policies.

The problem I see is when organizations and corporations without legitimate security concerns begin banning camera
phones because they think their employees will act like jerks.

I wrote about the Post's article, as well as including the text of the press release, "Camera Phones Pose Security
Risk," in my Camera Phone Report Weblog -- http://www.wirelessmoment.com/2004/02/us_air_force_ba.html

Alan

Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing consulting
E-Mail: reiter () wirelessinternet com
Phone: 1-301-951-0385

Weblogs: http://reiter.weblogger.com
                 http://www.cameraphonereport.com