Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AP story on Msoft blocking Mydoom.B

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:39:06 -0500

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:30:02 -0500
From: Ted Bridis <TBridis () ap org>
Subject: RE: [IP] AP story on Msoft blocking Mydoom.B
To: dave () farber net

>>"Microsoft did say that computers infected with the virus would not be
able to access Microsoft's Web site." is particularly interesting. How
do you suppose they detect infection in order to block access?<<

I believe my colleague, who wrote this story, meant that infected
computers were programatically blocked by MyDoom.B from visiting
www.microsoft.com (as well as from dozens of other sites, including
those of AV vendors). This wasn't intended to suggest that Microsoft was
somehow able to filter out infected traffic; as far as we know, even
infected machines that couldn't visit www.microsoft.com still would have
participated in the denial of service attack against microsoft.com.