Interesting People mailing list archives

More on: The End of Spectrum Scarcity -- an article and a comment on the article

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:42:07 -0500

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:38:09 -0700
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: [IP] More on: The End of Spectrum Scarcity -- an article and a comment
 on the article
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

At 02:00 PM 2/29/2004, Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org> wrote:

I think IPers will be interested in an article in our March issue, "The End of Spectrum Scarcity," by Kevin Werbach and Greg Staple.

Interesting article. Alas, the authors may have been listening too closely to those who preach the gospel of "unlimited spectrum" rather than investigating the real world experience of those of us who have been gamely contending with interference on the shared portions of the airwaves.

The article states:

"interference is not some inherent property of spectrum. It's a property of devices. A better receiver will pick up a transmission where an earlier one heard only static. Whether a new radio system "interferes" with existing ones is entirely dependent on the equipment involved."

Unfortunately, while those who covet licensed spectrum (such as FM broadcasters railing against low power FM stations) overestimate the likelihood of interference, this Polyanna-ish view goes to the other extreme by claiming -- with arguments largely supported by "hand waving" -- that the problem does not exist or will miraculously be solved by some unspecified technology that has yet to be developed.

The truth lies, as is often the case, somewhere in the middle. Shannon's Law, and its myriad corollaries and consequences, dictate that there are indeed limits on what equipment can do to avoid or overcome interference. While it is true that more can be done with sophisticated radio equipment and antennas than has been done in the past, even today's very best technologies experience interference. The Part 15 unlicensed bands, on which Wi-Fi and most wireless ISPs operate, have served as an excellent real life demonstration of the possible results of spectrum deregulation. Many new and exciting applications have been developed thanks to the relatively few rules that apply to these bands. But there have also been negative consequences. Wireless ISPs (WISPs), valiantly seeking to free the public of its dependency on wired monopolies, have been driven from the airwaves by personal wireless devices, by competitors' equipment, and/or by malicious parties intentionally seeking to derail their businesses. When this occurs, they and their customers (both damaged by interrupted or lost service) have little or no recourse. Some wireless technologies, such as cellular phones, are notoriously quirky and unreliable (Can you hear me now?) despite several generations of technological development. Were there truly "no such thing" as interference, the cellular companies, given their vast financial resources, would surely have eliminated it by now.

In creating new spectrum policies, we must eschew platitudes from ideologically or economically motivated parties (who tend to espouse the most extreme viewpoints) and seek answers that alleviate, rather than compound, the problems we now face. While spectrum need not be scarce, it is also not an infinite resource. Enlightened policy makers will need to cut through the misleading claims on both ends of the spectrum policy spectrum to come up with rules that best serve the public.

--Brett Glass