Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Strung Up With Cable TV

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:57:51 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lesher <wb8foz () nrk com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:43:29
To:dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Strung Up With Cable TV

Dr F:

Taking all of this together, my sense is that the *real* reason cable rates are
going up is that the companies have a monopoly so they can raise prices.  The
company needs capital to build their business and they are using current
customers to fund that growth since Wall Street has always been suspicious of
the cable business.

So here's an idea -- the best way to improve the service and choice is to
deregulate cable monopoly.  Either allow more than one company to install cable
in a neighborhood -- there's plenty of space on the telephone poles to string
another cable -- or treat the cable as a common carrier and allow different
companies to deliver services.  The later approach would be to remove the
vertical integration monopoly.

The first option is known as an 'overbuilder'... During the boom,
RCN {ex-Erols} and PEPCO [the DC area power utility] formed
Starpower to do just that. Paul Allen put ~$1.6 billion in.

Now, PEPCO has pulled out, Paul Allen sold 40% of his stock for
$2 million, and "RCN bankrupcy" on Googlenews will bring you the
rest of the bad news.

And Comcast? They are buying Mickey Mouse.

What this all says about Chairman Powell & "Less regulation will
bring more providers" I leave as an exercise for the reader.