Interesting People mailing list archives

more on VeriSign sues ICANN

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:53:08 -0500

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:41:28 -0800
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] : VeriSign sues ICANN
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com

Dave,

This falls squarely into the "reap what you sow" category.  Many of us
(including yourself) have been warning for years that the current Internet
"governance" situation vis-a-vis ICANN (and VeriSign) was untenable, but
interest in dealing with this has been anything but enthusiastic by either
the well-heeled corporate masters of the Internet or by the folks at
the Department of Commerce.

Now we're faced with a "Godzilla vs. Mothra" battle, where the Internet --
and its users -- will likely take the brunt of the collateral damage.

VeriSign acts as if the Internet is its personal garden ripe for picking,
while ICANN (notwithstanding being on the correct side of the VeriSign
"Site Finder" battle so far) is largely responsible for leading us into
these kinds of messes in the first place.

It's time to move beyond these two organizations that so many now love to
hate.  The PFIR document "Overcoming ICANN: Forging Better Paths for the
Internet" -- now almost exactly two years old -- proffers one possible
path ( http://www.pfir.org/statements/icann ).

If we don't seriously get down to fixing the way the Net is run,
"here there be monsters" could well become the permanent slogan
of the Internet itself.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

 - - -