Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Ruling on Doe v Chao [ for IP list]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:57:55 -0500

From: bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us

Dave

Here in Phoenix, we're number 1...in identity theft!

You are welcome to assume how some of us feel about the (invasion of) privacy
implications of this ruling.

As i approach that magical age, I wonder if I'll be able to use Medicare, since,
as I understand, Medicare uses one's SSN as the Account Number.

If Medicare uses the SSn as the Account Number, how in the H E Double Toothpicks
are people supposed to protect themselves from ID theft?

< irony >
Perhaps I should just ask John Ashcroft to protect me.
< /irony >

Or, perhaps some of your readers are Members of the Legislative Branch.  If so,
they might want to make some minor changes to the rules about the Government's
use of Social Security Numbers.  Im case some are, I'd be happy to chat with
them about this issue. I'm certain that some other folks would also.