Interesting People mailing list archives

] more on Here I sit awaiting the Bill Gates talk at CMU

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:50:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Freak <fcukinbizaar () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:35:02
To:dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Here I sit awaiting the Bill Gates talk at CMU

Hi Dave;

My experience of the security around the senior execs of MS (and to a lesser
degree, all employees at large corporate events) has been that the "agents"
are invisible. At their major conventions, MS will have as many as 200 or
more "security personnel" onsite 24/7. Aside from the teams responsible for
specific client management, there are others responsible for general
security.

To recount an episode; MS "took over" New Orleans one year for a week long
conference of several thousand field sales and technical folks; A colleague
of mine was assaulted at knifepoint on Bourbon Street by several
"opportunists"; Before he even had time to react to the threat, the
"opportunists" were "managed" and cuffed and awaiting the police. I found it
quite reassuring as an employee to know that among the thousands of partying
colleagues on Bourbon street that night, there were a few hundred bodyguards
ensuring that the only risks we were facing were the self-inflicted kind.

The point is, (IMHO) that the most effective security is the kind that you
can't see, but you know (or even suspect) is there. As to the changes in
Senior Management security - I know that, 8 years ago, Bill had personal
security at events; I suspect that the perceived increase in security may be
the result of insurance companies in a terror/panic stricken America.

Regards,

Marc Aniballi
+33 617 791586
Sacred Chao