Interesting People mailing list archives

New scam pretending to be Citibank, asking for account information...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:35:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Eric J. Glover" <eric () ericglover com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:26:57
To:dave () farber net, sanjay Palnitkar <sanjay () nec-labs com>,       frisbee2 () yahoogroups com
Subject: New scam pretending to be Citibank, asking for account information...

Within a few days after signing up for e-mail alerts from Citibank
(probably not related, but who knows), I received an e-mail asking me to
go to citibank's site and confirm my e-mail by entering various account
and related information.

Normally these "scams" are totaly obvious since they send you to some
other site - however this one attempted to mask their actual URL, by
using anchortext with a domain of citibank.com. A snippet from the
e-mail is below:

I wanted to send this e-mail for three reasons:
#1: To restate the importance of NEVER EVER EVER EVER provide your
account information of any kind to a website! If you need it you can
call the company at the number on your card or bill - do not call
numbers found from e-mail (or from a website you have not taken from
bookmarks) and confirm they really need that information.

#2: Emphasize that since e-mail has ZERO security, it is like sending a
postcard written in cheap pencil through an untrusted mail carrier, most
e-mails are actually scams! If you are uncertain ignore it - if you are
advanced, examining the headers may reveal the true identity - which in
this case appears to have been the HOME computer of someone who used
Comcast cable in New Haven, CT.

#3: I wanted to know to which government agencies I can report this,
since the FBI site tries very hard to prevent you from contacting them
electronically.

I have already notified Citibank (well attempted to), knowing them, they
will probably ignore the info - I might send updates.

To verify your E-mail address and access your bank account,
click on the link below:
https://web.da-us.citibank.com/signin/citifi/scripts/email_verifyjsp

Clicking on the above in the scam e-mail would send you to:

192.192.230.48/scripts/email_verify.htm

Later,
Eric