Interesting People mailing list archives

more on See You on the Darknet - note on etymology

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:40:30 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Charles Arthur, The Independent" <carthur () independent co uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:41:23
To:dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] See You on the Darknet - note on etymology

Hi ...

At 6:04 pm -0500 on 28/2/04, you wrote:

<x-flowed>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:26:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall () SIMS Berkeley EDU>
Subject: See You on the Darknet; Why we don't really want Internet security.

This all sounds like "Blacknet" - a word made up by ( think)  Tim May of
cypherpunks, who some time in 1993 circulated a fake email purporting to
come from darknet people who would host all sort of evil things for you and
make sure that the authorities could never catch you. Being a journalist
not knowing its origin, I had thought it was the real thing, and one day -
Midem in 1994, I think - I showed it to him (he was holding court as a
cyber-activist; the Net was very cutting-edge and cool, and I was writing
about it for New Scientist).

He was delighted at this nice piece of meme-ery. Now of course we get spam
offering to do just the same thing, and these folks can *really* do it.

Or does Darknet/Blacknet have an older etymology?
Google refs:
Darknet: http://archives.abditum.com/cypherpunks/C-punks20030825/0069.html
(cypherpunks discussion referring back to
Blacknet: http://www.privacyexchange.org/iss/confpro/cfpuntraceable.html
(Tim May's own webpage).

        best
        Charles