Interesting People mailing list archives

: More on spoofs and financial scams

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:14:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Frankston <rmfxixB1 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:38:29
To:David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: More on spoofs and financial scams

Its important to dispel naïve notions like the reliability of email traces. I got yet another fake PayPal messages and
the header had

x-sender: service () paypal com

x-receiver: OneOfMySpamBaitAddresses

             Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11: 03:36 -0500

            by ACB44D22.ipt.aol.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 781BE5C358

            for <OneOfMySpamBaitAddresses>; Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10: 03:37 -0600

From: service service () paypal com

They did fake out AOL  probably via a Trojan on an AOL client.

BTW, I did ask the head of one of the major e-commerce companies (name withheld because Im not a reporter) who said
they have pursued some of this but there didnt seem to deal with the international aspect which I see as the real
danger.

The key line is a hidden link to http: / / 210.78.22.113 / verify.html.  It is behind a PayPal GIF and is registered to
JiTong Shanghai Communications Co.,Ltd in China. Others Ive seen are registered in Malaysia.

But I guess this isnt as important as putting the full weight and effort of the FBI and Congress into protecting the
RIAA and Hollywood. Its obvious that they feel that defending a broken business model is far more important than
protecting people and new industries. While I lament the degree to which some of these countries track people, it is
does mean that one can follow a trail. These are very slick and have they feel of a common source that can be tracked.