Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Mostly show

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:38:09 -0500

From: Justin Rood <jrood () cq com>

Dave,

Just wanted to chime in that I've spent a little time covering TSA and
airport security (just a little), but would like to share a little of what
I've seen and heard.  Please forgive the tedious detail.

1. The TSA recruiting process didn't necessarily give priority to anyone
with an airport screening background.  It may have been intended, but
whether it came through in practice is disputable. In fact, there is at
least one lawsuit I know of, in the Northwest, in which former private
screeners are claiming they were prevented from applying for TSA jobs,
despite their experience.  I have heard similar claims from other areas of
the country.

2. I don't think one can say, unequivocally, that minimum wage private
sector screeners were the original problem.  Some--at Logan Airport, for
instance--may have been.  But I haven't seen evidence that private sector
screeners across the board were bad.  Important to remember: before 9/11,
one of the primary goals of airport screening anywhere was to get people on
planes in time, not "to prevent the next 9/11."  (TSA tries to be quick,
too--but efficient and safe.)

3. There are problems with how TSA screener and screener supervisory
positions were filled, but they are many and complex.  I am sure there are
examples such as the one cited below around the country, but there are also
very competent and experienced managers--regardless of age, which shouldn't
be a qualifier or disqualifier, anyhow--who are doing terrific work.  There
are also less-than-competent managers staffing airports who have many years
of supervisory experience.

Anyway, the contractor who handled the hiring process, NCS/Pearson, didn't
exactly win high marks for its execution of its responsibilities.  Some $90
million in payments is still being disputed by TSA, I believe.

So, res ipsa loquitur, perhaps.  TSA had a tough bill to fill--some think,
impossible--and there are wrinkles, to be sure.  In my experience, it's
never been possible to point at one error at the agency and say, "that's
what's going on all over the place!"

Justin Rood
CQ Homeland Security