Interesting People mailing list archives

"letting out my bottled up passion to speak up."

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:48:11 -0500

From: N Sashikumar <sashi () civil iisc ernet in>

Dear Prof Dave,
 I  feel out of place  in the  mostly US oriented discussions in the IP.
But i am fascinated by  the  fierce intelluctual discussions on privacy
and other host of issues,  which  are not much talked here in this part of
world (India). So I continue to be in IP.

So here i am letting out my bottled up passion to speak up.

Every one talks about globalization as a new phenomenon, but it looks like
it's as old as civilizations. From good old ancient days everyone
seems to have borrowed/traded, the ideas or the parts from others.

Why, the democracy US is fouded itself is  borrowed from Greeks. In math
and  astronomy there seems to be more free  flows of thoughts and ideas to
all the ends of earth. What do we have to  say about Arabic numerals, Roman
letters, Indian zero, chinese gun powder, egyptian papyrus etc...

What is that anyone will claim to exclusivity, except to call all for
common good. Well the scientific and intelluctual seeds of west in modern
world had an undeniable impact on the whole world the way it lives.
But even as a century back, with these tools west had exploited the old
countries.

The analogy of good soil and bad soil in the mail given below is funny.
What about centuries old colonizations by British, French, Spanish? why
did  they pursue out of thier country and colonized if they had everything
they want in thier own country? It sounds parasitic, you suck whatever you
want and leave it, because it's become a bad soil..

How did the west  had the nurturing environment? Though there may be
many good reasons and causes, what about the wealth got from colonizing?
what about the cheap labour cost of native people?

 Now what's wrong in returning somethings, not even as a right but -
earning for working and that too 1/10 th of it what it may cost? and
the object of work which they don't have for themselves? Are west is
afraid of sharing thier wealth, thier quality of life to less priviliged?

regards
sashi