Interesting People mailing list archives

more on : Code Monkeys, not.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:15:23 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Dylan Northrup <docx () io com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:41:56
To:Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] : Code Monkeys, not.

For IP, if you don't mind more fuel for the fire.

I agree that Chinese and Indian computer professionals can be as good, if not
better, than American computer professionals.  However, I doubt they would
have the same opportunities to succeed in their respective homelands that
they would in the US (or Canada, or western Europe).

A hardy seed may grow well in poor dirt, but it'll have a much better time
of it in rich, fertalized soil.  And, as any gardener can tell you, good
growing soil requires plenty of work to cultivate (or plenty of money to
purchase at the store).

The US, et. al is very fertile ground for many industries (computers
included) but the industries are not investing their resources (jobs, money,
etc) in maintaining an environment conducive to growth in the west and,
instead, investing their resources in some cheaper plots of land.  The
reason the land is cheaper, however, is it doesn't have all the benefits of
the west.

I wish Asian entrepreneurs the best of luck in the world in developing
industries and getting jobs in their own countries.  If they can do as
well in their native countries, I say let them have a go at it.  This
isn't an issue with keeping Indian, Chinese or any other entrepreneurs from
creating and promoting industries in their own countries.  It's an issue of
corporations and entrepreneurs that have been supported by the nurturing
environment of the west taking the fruits of that nurturing environment and
shipping them away.

I wonder how well the Indian and Chinese workers will react in 20-30 years
when their jobs are being outsourced to Africa.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx () io com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's