Interesting People mailing list archives

: Code Monkeys, not.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:38:37 -0400

I agree with this note djf

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Huitema <huitema () windows microsoft com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:10:11
To:dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Code Monkeys, not.

Am I the only one to be chocked by the xenophobic undertones of the
"outsourcing" debate? Do people here seriously believe that computer
science graduates from India or China are somehow doomed to be less
smart than those of American universities? Anyone who has worked with
graduates from the IIT or the University of Beijing knows that this is
obviously not the case!

China and India are graduating more engineers than the US. The H1B
debate showed that convincing all of them to move to the US is not a
serious option. These folks, our colleagues, will get jobs and develop
industries in their own countries. The outsourcing debate will not go
anywhere if we don't first show respect for all parties involved.

-- Christian Huitema