Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Outsourcing to India: All that glitters, or even glisters, is not gold

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:15:30 -0500

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:08:00 -0500
From: Marc Aniballi <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Outsourcing to India: All that glitters,
 or even glisters, is not gold
To: stevecoh1 () comcast net
Cc: dave () farber net

Excellent points Steve!!

In retrospect, I regret (to a degree) my use of the word "monkey." But in my
world (maybe not in yours) we have a distinction between the programmer's
equivalent of a secretary and someone who can create and innovate with the
milieu of programming. Outsourcing of software development to more "cost
effective" regions does not replace the need for the Software Engineer. It
simply reduces the amount of assembly line/administrative programming that
engineer is required to do. Programming IMHO is NOT a profession, it is a
skill, like arc welding. DESIGNING software is a profession, like
engineering. Skills are things that need to be done, and done well, but that
are trainable. To the degree that almost ANYONE can be TRAINED to perform
the skill to an adequate level of quality. This is true of programming.
DESIGNING programs and systems however, is MUCH less trivial, requires broad
understanding beyond the programming language structures, requires
creativity, risk assessment and management skills, etc.

While monkey was a bad choice of slang for the IP forum, it is not an
uncommon term used to refer to programmers who are incapable, or are limited
from, inserting any initiative/creativity into their work - They simply
follow instructions and crank out perfect code to the specification (Make
sure the spec is right!!). While a useful function, the individual's role is
no more important to a project or an organization than a secretary's was in
the 70's. They are easily replaceable from a large pool of skilled labor.

This is NOT the case of a software engineer, architect or project manager.
That pool is MUCH smaller, and there is a fairly large spread in the
relative quality of service available. It is VERY hard to change engineers
or architects in mid project without costing yourself a small fortune in
transfer time and effort.

So I guess my point has been and will remain, that a global marketplace is
the logical result of the WTO activities (driven by America as much as
anyone). Once we have a global marketplace, then there will be a global
market for skilled (and unskilled) labor. That labor will chase the best pay
(probably globally), and the organizations requiring labor will seek it in
the least expensive places. This has been and will continue to be the case
in a world that subscribes to the scarcity myth and also believes that some
higher being gave them this planet to do with as they please.

What had always been the case in the early history of America, was that it
was ENOUGH to make it in the US and sell it in the US to get rich. As soon
as multinationals started expanding, they didn't bring more jobs to American
factory workers! They built NEW factories overseas! Because it was more cost
effective to produce near your customers than to ship it to them. Then along
came automated assembly lines and suddenly there was a glut in unskilled
labor! Unskilled because their skill was obsolete. But let's be realistic,
they were never Professionals!

You Steve, may or may not be a "code monkey" it depends on what you do
everyday. If it is, "Sit in front of a computer and program to a set spec
with no input to design or method and only focused on sticking to the
specification and writing bug free code." Then you fit the model. THAT is a
code monkey. If however, programming is only 40 - 50% of your week and the
rest is in design meetings, code reviews, architecture reviews, change
management, etc. Then you are a Professional, you are NOT a programmer, you
are at least an Analyst, if not an Architect/Engineer or more. This is a
role that is VERY hard to outsource, because it blends intimate knowledge of
the technology with intimate knowledge of the business and marketplace.
Something your average Indian graduate/programmer will have a hard time
competing with in an outsourcing paradigm.

You seemed a little P.O.ed in your email, I'm sorry if I upset you, my
intention was to point out a different perspective on the outsourcing issue.
As with many on this side of the pond, we wonder how the US can condemn IBM,
Microsoft and other anti-trust defendants for trying to protect their
markets aggressively, and yet act in a similar manner as those defendants
within the world community in areas like agriculture, steel, skilled labor,
etc. I am glad Dave published your rebuttal - It will hopefully get people
thinking a little more deeply about the whole situation.

As to your barb at the end - The world (and America) needs Aniballi's as
much as it needs Cohen's and even Farber's (to make sure we have a platform
to communicate!!). I have had 5 "Careers" in my life (so far) and while the
changes where to a degree "Gut wrenching" I enjoy the voyage, that's me! The
internet bubble cannot be blamed on the idea guys running amok! The idea
guys still exist today, in equal or possibly greater numbers. Today, though,
they are not being chased by crazed VCs and Andersen Consultants. It was a
much the Cohen's of the world as anyone who created and supported the bubble
through their participation in the market mania (either directly or through
aggressive mutual funds/401ks). It was every Joe out there who bought into
the idea that all these kids with ideas were likely to be the next Bill
Gates' of the world. So while the prominence of ideas is suffering the
backlash of a public, who "lost" a bucket load of cash in the bubble, it has
not vanished, in fact in Asia and Europe, there is a renaissance in
start-ups occurring. A renaissance that is fiscally responsible - find a
market, get some cash flow, THEN seek funding - at a reasonable and
manageable level. You don't here about these guys in the news everyday, and
that's a good thing. They at least have the chance to succeed without their
failures being broadcast to the world in realtime!

Everyday that I read IP I thank Her for the incredible diversity of opinion
in the membership and the opportunity to enter into edifying discussions
with people that have a similar love of the exploration of ideas.

Regards,

Marc Aniballi