Interesting People mailing list archives

From Salon: Boobs at the FCC

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:30:45 -0500

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:41:48 -0500
From: John Adams <jadams01 () sprynet com>
Subject: For IP? From Salon: Boobs at the FCC
To: dave () farber net

Hi, Dave,

Has the Federal Communication Commission exaggerated the number of complaints -- claimed to be more than 200,000 -- it received over Janet Jackson's Super Bowl flash? One Salon reader, Samuel Thompson, wrote in Thursday after reading a story about the congressional hearings into Tittygate, with his own suggestive evidence that that might be the case:

"I'd just like to point out that I am one of the vocal 200,000 that chose to complain to the FCC, but not by choice. I sent the FCC a note supporting Ms. Jackson's breast, so to speak, and here is the response I got from [FCC commissioner] Michael Copps:

'Thank you so much for your e-mail regarding the Super Bowl halftime show. I share your concern about this outrageous stunt. I have been pushing the FCC to tackle indecency on the airwaves since I joined the Commission two and a half years ago. Because I've received so many e-mails on this issue, I am not able to reply to each one individually. For your information, I've attached below my comments about the Super Bowl halftime show on February 2, 2004.

'Thank you again for sending your e-mail.'

As you can see, no one is even reading the mail that's coming in. If they see a subject line that relates to the Super Bowl they just chalk it up to another outraged citizen. I'd be really curious to know how many of these 200,000 people were really outraged by the show, as opposed to how many were just outraged by the FCC reaction."

-- Kerry Lauerman