Interesting People mailing list archives

Google/Bodleian announcement | What I hope fo r

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:19:17 -1000

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        Google/Bodleian announcement | What I hope for
Author: Ted Nelson <tandm () xanadu net>
Date:           14th December 2004 11:02:04 pm

Hi Dave-- sitting in my Oxford office, I just got the big
 Oxford news from my favorite L.A. radio station--

KCRW just presented the announcement of a deal between
 Google and the Bodleian library: as a preliminary arrangement,
 the Bodleian will allow Google to scan a million and a half
 of its nineteenth-century documents, to be available free on line.

I presume it's a toe in the water for both.  Stanford, U. Mich
 and Harvard are said to be involved also, though this was not
 explicated on the program.

My great hope is that they'll understand everyone's need to quote
 portions on line, which is what I've fought for most of my life.
 Just allowing access to big lump files is far less useful.

Best, Ted

Theodor Holm Nelson, Fellow of the Oxford Internet Institute
 & Visiting Fellow of Wadham College
 University of Oxford, 1 St Giles, Oxford OX1 3JS, UK
Founder, Project Xanadu (the first hypertext project), 1960+
 �  e-mail: tandm () xanadu net  �  phone, fax  +44 845 280 4896
 �  http://ted.hyperland.comhttp://xanadu.com