Interesting People mailing list archives

More on: [IP]: Bill adds 20,000 H1-B visas

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:42:04 -1000

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        Fwd: More on: [IP]: Bill adds 20,000 H1-B visas
Author: Suzanne Johnson <sjohnson () pobox com>
Date:           14th December 2004 10:30:09 am

Dave..

I know you are in HI...but the suggestions wrt H1B visas might be workable...
         Suzanne

To: Suzanne Johnson <sjohnson () pobox com>
From: John Reece <reece () pobox com>
Subject: More on: [IP]: Bill adds 20,000 H1-B visas
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:45:30 -0800

Suzanne,

Here's an item for IP:  It seems that HP, which was a major lobbyist for
the bill, is planning layoffs in 2005:

        http://www.itworld.com/Man/3919/041123hplayoffs/

This is on top of the 17,000 job cuts since the 2002 Compaq merger.

I think it would be great if list member Dan Gilmore of the San Jose
Mercury-News would seek a
straight answer from HP on exactly how many of the 17,000 laid-off were
citizens with postgrad
technical degrees.   Funny how this question didn't occur to any Congress
critters.

I also think the web could be used to truly and efficently safeguard US
worker's rights, unlike the Bush administration's phony safeguards which
it has no intention of enforcing.     Virtually all major  H1-B employers
have websites with job listings. Simply require them to keep job postings
filled by H1-Bs online for 1 year along with the resume of the successful
applicant, minus personal identity info.   I'm sure they'd be of interest
to  the recently-pink-slipped and unsuccessful outside applicants who
could file complaints when appropriate.

Finally, if there's a problem with US citizens being underrepresented in
grad engineering programs there's a simple solution.   Universities should
initiate  affirmative action/outreach programs for US citizens.
  It's not a stretch since they already eagerly do it for every other
conceivable identity group in programs that don't sufficently "look like
America".

You haven't bought that HP PC yet, have you?

John Reece