Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Fiscal 2005 spending bill addresses privacy issues

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:43:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: December 8, 2004 1:36:46 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Fiscal 2005 spending bill addresses privacy issues

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Rosenberg <bob () bobrosenberg phoenix az us>
Date: December 7, 2004 9:20:24 PM EST
To: dave () farber net

Dave

[from the final paragraph] "The bill also would waive "Buy America" provisions
requiring federal IT purchases to include U.S.-made content...."

Am I the only one who wonders how the Gummint will protect itself/us from some
"bad guy" furr'ner who would put rogue code into those IT purchses?

No, you are not the only one. Several of us outside of government have been warning of this for years, and many inside also raise the issue repeatedly. We are seeing cost trump reason. That the government can get software or hardware for 2/3 the cost matters more to the bureaucrats than who had a hand in making it. As a result, way too many critical applications are being hosted on platforms configured, designed, and built by people who would never be allowed into the facilities where those platforms are used! And let's not even go on to outsourced maintenance and help desk functionality.

Esau at least got soup for his trade.