Interesting People mailing list archives

Spectrum Usage in Brussels, Belgium

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:48:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Patrick S. Ryan" <patrick.ryan () ryanlegal net>
Date: December 3, 2004 7:27:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Spectrum Usage in Brussels, Belgium

Dave:

A friend suggested that I should send the link for IPers for a short study that I completed (with colleagues) on spectrum usage in Brussels. Similar tests have been conducted in the U.S., and the conclusions are not terribly original and will not come as a surprise to many readers of this list. However, this data has been of some interest in Europe, and my test data was used as the basis for a recent article in the German magazine Der Spiegel and in Belgian magazine Trends.

So, I'm forwarding it along to you.  Please distribute as you see fit.

Available at:  http://ssrn.com/abstract=603581
Abstract: The above-referenced piece, published in a Belgian online law review (freely available on SSRN) is an excerpt from the author's PhD dissertation completed at KU Leuven (Belgium). This portion deals with empirical data of spectrum usage in Brussels and analysis of the data in the context of wireless spectrum allocation and regulation. We look at specific regulatory allocations - such as the FM radio band and the television band - and we conclude that new regulations have allowed for increased usage of this spectrum, and should continue to do so. We also see that regulations that have been ostensibly passed that prohibit broadcasting of any kind in certain frequency ranges (e.g., the military bands) have resulted in not just under use, but possibly a complete lack of use of these frequencies. We conclude that in order for us to improve the regulation and management of spectrum, we must first conduct empirical analysis of how spectrum is used.

Patrick S. Ryan
Attorney, PSR lawfirm, llc
Asst. Professor Adjunct, University of Colorado at Boulder
http://itp.colorado.edu/People/ryan.aspx
http://www.ryanlegal.net