Interesting People mailing list archives

defense of PA Bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:09:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Date: December 2, 2004 3:10:46 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] More on: Rendell caves and signs HB30 - Verizon can prevent municipal networks statewide

David Farber writes:
ps I am looking for someone who can defend the law

Well, as far as I can see, the law[1] forces telecommunication companies
to provide broadband Internet to everyone by a specific date (later
for rural carriers, earlier for non-rural).

Even if I'm wrong on that, then I'm more certain that the bill simply
gives telecommunication companies the right of first refusal[2].  Any
government can provide broadband simply by writing a letter to the
telecommunication company.  They have two months to say "no, we'll do
it".  If they say nothing, the government can go ahead.  If they
promise to do it, the government has only to wait 14 months, and if
the telecommunication company hasn't provided broadband, the
government can do it.

Telecommunication companies wanted this bill to make sure that their
customers are not forced to pay twice for broadband: once in their
taxes and again in their bill to the telecommunication company.

[1] http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/BT/2003/0/HB0030P4778.HTM
[2] Search in [1] for "- 69 -".

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Violence never solves
Crynwr sells support for free software | PGPok | problems, it just changes