Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Release 1-0 on piece on ICANN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:03:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>
Date: December 3, 2004 2:51:51 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Release 1-0 on piece on ICANN

Sorry, I hit send too soon:

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:41:39 -0500, David Farber wrote:
  The DNS was set up back in the 70s (before it had a name) at a time

The DNS was invented in 1982. It was beginning to be a useful part of the Internet by about 1985.

  I won't go into most of the problems that has produced, but there is
  one that extends outside the domain-name community, and that is that
  domain names are so easily available that their use in committing fraud
  is becoming a growing problem.

This implies that it is more difficult to create names in other parts of commerce. It isn't.

The rules for using personal or business names are equally open and easy.

Along with grandmothers, political
  activists and honest entrepreneurs, fraudsters and criminals can buy an
  online identity - that is, a domain name such as sleazyfisher.com or
  sterlingstartup.net - for a few dollars.

This is no different than con artists have been doing with business names for a very long time before the Internet.

  The solution, I believe, is to create a system where the registries can
  compete with TLDs that stand for something and whose SLD-holders are
  bound by some contract to specific standards of behavior.

Oh? Are we really all that assured that awyers who belong to the appropriate associations are, themselves, the model of good ethics, and that doctors who belong to the relevant associations are all highly competent?

The idea that trust can somehow facilitated by defining discrete portions of the name space, like .trusted or .pure, as being specially endowed is certainly appealing, but I am not aware of any empirical evidence that it has real utility.

Associating differential semantics with differential names is generally thought to be a poor design choice in computer systems. Separate from whether the purported trustworthinesses will be valid, software on the usage side of the DNS will certainly get complex. So, where is the real-world experience that would justify doing this?

The role of reputation and accreditations services for certifying accountability and even trustworthiness associated with a domain name is a important, but complex, emerging business area. For the moment, it is far better to let that area develop as an independent service, than it is to tie it do specific parts of the domain name space. Architecturally, this will call for a separate trust module, that can work for any name, not just special ones.

  In short, ICANN should consider a fundamental overhaul of the system -
  not next year, but this year.

The idea of a "fundamental overhaul" of an infrastructure system in use by roughly 1 billion people should be viewed rather skeptically. Operations folks tend to get very queasy when having to shift much smaller installed bases.

  Take the example of the e-mail community, which is developing a system   where authentication of mail servers is coupled with reputation systems
  and recipient choices about what mail to accept. It's time for the
  possibility of similar approaches to work for visits to websites.

The email community is fishing (not phishing) around for useful authentication mechanisms to *add* to the service, not to *overhaul* it.

Work on accreditation and reputation is so new, it really has not quite reached the stage of "infancy".

So we should be judicious in our using it as an exemplar.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking