Interesting People mailing list archives

Tsunami Relief -- an alternative view

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:26:37 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "John F. McMullen" <johnmac13 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:08:05 -0500
To: <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Subject: Re: [johnmacsgroup] Re: Tsunami Relief

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, dbolduc78703 wrote:
So, what programs should we cut now, or what taxes should we raise,
for tsunami relief?  What would you be willing to sacrifice if the
Congress isn't willing to end the effort in Iraq?

I'm not against the aid -- but it should be pointed out that the first
responsibility of the US governement is to US citizens and we have
people living below the poverty level, people without health care, and
are drying up the Pell Grant program for college students. The whole
thing is a disgrace -- our economy -- and the fact that these other
countries mock our genorsity; they have a hell of a nerve -- and that
guy backed down.

This is the greatest human tragedy of my lifetime and certainly requires
an extrodinary response -- but we should remember our own problems
here also -- which go on daily -- and David is right -- each new dollar
spent either requires more taxes, cuts in other programs or a greater
deficit. I'd love to see all the pork in the Homeland Security Bill go to
Southeast Asia.

--
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
    "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson

                           John F. McMullen
    johnmac () acm org johnmac () computer org johnmac () m-net arbornet org
                   johnmac () tmail com johnmac () echonyc com
            jmcmullen () monroecollege edu johnmac () alumni iona edu
               ICQ: 4368412 Skype, AIM & Yahoo Messenger: johnmac13
                   http://www.westnet.com/~observer
             BLOG: http://johnmacrants.blogspot.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/XgSolB/TM
    johnmacsgroup-unsubscribe () yahoogroups com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

------ End of Forwarded Message